Candida & Candidiasis Yeast Infections – Symptoms & Treatment
Candida & Candidiasis –
information about Candida infection symptoms and effective yeast Candida
treatment using a natural Candida cleanse through dietary supplements from New
Zealand to help your body.
On this page:
Candidiasis is an infection by Candida
Albican - Albicans, a type of yeast. Although pathogenic strains of Candida share similar
characteristics with food yeasts, food yeasts do not carry the same
pathogenicity and ability to strongly adhere to and colonize mucous membranes.
Candidiasis, or yeast Candida, and especially intestinal Candida proliferation, has recently been
seen as a condition that can strike those who have a "normal" immune
system. It has been subject to much debate and lack of understanding, but has
motivated new thinking and research.
Candida infection was virtually unheard of before 1940. It is since the
introduction of antibiotics at around that time that candida has become the
widespread problem that it is today. Antibiotics kill the normal biota in the
gut and since even healthy guts have Candida in them and nature abhors a
vacuum, the candida will proliferate. The use of steroids (cortisones), birth
control pills, antacid and anti-ulcer medications, in addition to
antibiotics contributes strongly since Candida proliferates rapidly in
the presence of these substances. Modern day diets extremely high in
sugars are also blamed for the condition as sugars are rapidly metabolized by
fungi, especially yeasts, and prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Candida is believed to play a part in creating what is called a "leaky
gut," an unfavorable increase in intestinal permeability. Please read
our 'leaky gut syndrome' page. Click here.
- Candida infection has been found to produce 79 distinct toxins.
- Overgrowth of candida causes an allergic response from the body which
further plunders the resources of the body's immune system.
- Diarrhea, sometimes associated with abdominal cramps, can be caused by
- Psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis have also been reported in association
- Extreme lethargy
- Diarrhea, chronic gas, bloating, abdominal cramps alleviated by bowel movements,
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Lactose intolerance
- Anxiety, Hyperactivity, Attention Deficit Disorder
- Allergies and allergy symptoms, chemical sensitivities
- Panic attacks
- Sinus problems
- Eye fatigue
- Muscle weakness and bone pain
- White tongue and a white coating
- Psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff, dry, itchy skin
- Rectal itching
- Frequent yeast infections in women
- High sugar or mold foods drastically increase symptoms.
- Avoiding food helps to alleviate symptoms
- Inflammation of the hair follicles (candidiasis folliculitis) of various
parts of the body (feet, legs, arms)
- Frequent urination
- Swollen lips/face
- Symptoms worse after waking
- Facial rash
- Chronic inflammation and irritation of the eye and conjunctivae.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Diagnosis of Candida is often not that easy although many doctors do not seem
to look specifically for it. The most reliable way of proving Candida yeast
is with a stool exam on a sample collected at home when Candida symptoms are worst. The
laboratory should be instructed to do a gram stain for yeast along with direct
microscopic examination of the sample. You should not of course take antifungal
drugs prior to the examination.
- What you can do to help your body recover from
the scourge of Candidiasis - which could be the cause of
- The first thing to do is a Candida cleanse to reduce the level of Candida to that of a normal
gut. This done using fungicides. There are many natural fungicides such as
Liver Oil which can be used in a maintenance fashion once Candida levels
are low enough, however initially there is now available a natural herbal
product called Kolorex® Intestinal Care capsules
which helps maintain balanced intestinal microflora.
Kolorex® Capsules contain milled leaves of
Horopito, (Pseudowintera colorata),
a New Zealand herb with a long history of traditional use. We are very excited
at Lovely Health about this product as it is a wonderful tool in the natural
fight against Candida. The main active in Horopito is polygodial, which has shown powerful activity in the laboratory.
Independent in vitro studies have shown that
Kolorex® is probably more useful
than Pau d’Arco or Olive Leaf Extract in helping your natural defences. If there
is still a problem it is probably best to get a prescription
from your doctor for an antifungal such as Nystatin, Lamisil or Diflucan.
All seem to be considered safe with little or no side effects. You will of
course have to convince your doctor of the need for such a prescription.
- Candida diet. Reduce sugars and carbohydrates in your diet, particularly sugars as
yeasts love these and thrive on them.
probiotics containing such bacteria as Lactobacilli, Bifidobacterium.
These bacteria don't just "crowd out" Candida yeast, but they
also produce factors such as lactic acid (from lactose), formic acid, acetic
acid, and hydrogen peroxide that help to provide an environment and pH
unfavorable to yeasts.
- Avoid where possible oral antibiotics, antacids and steroids.
External Fungal Infections.
In cases of nail bed infection and in skin folds in the groin area etc.,
recent studies have shown that tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is
effective against a wide range of fungal isolates including species of Candida.
It appears that controlled doses of tea tree oil may be used as an effective
topical treatment for dermatologic Candida infection.
There is also very effective natural creams available using
Candida is a very persistent organism and you will have to be more
persistent. It may take months but the result will be worth it.
Literature and information on Candidiasis.
More information about a 'leaky gut' can be found on
our Leaky Gut Syndrome page. Click here.
more about candida here
Apart from this Candidiasis web site page, you also might find more support and information on
Candida at an National Candidiasis foundation,
association, network group, society in your
country or at a web ring.
You will find
books for your well being on our 'Literature'
TOP OF PAGE
Go to our homepage for more advice on how to strengthen the